Saturday, February 23, 2008

Frustrating NIV Edits

Far be it for me to speak out against a God-inspired translation, but there are a few phrases in John 8 that have been inserted for clarity, and I truly believe they do nothing but dilute the text.

For your consideration, here they are:

John 8:23
"You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am [the one I claim to be], you will indeed die in your sins."

John 8:27-9
They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 28So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am [the one I claim to be] and that I do nothing on my own but speak just what the Father has taught me. 29The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him."

Now, I am personally very encouraged by the consistency in God's voice that would be there were it not for these "literary aids"-- though I'd much prefer to call them miscreant edits. Since God is a triune God, and Christ is a part of the Trinity, it makes utter sense that we should recognize Him as He later indicates, and as God once called Himself:

John 8:58
Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"

Exodus 3:14
God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' "

Come on, people! Get with the program, already!! I mean, "'claim' to be"? How about "declared I am", if you want to show some respect. Vexing; genuinely vexing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home